Grupo Energía de Bogotá celebrates 9th anniversary of operation of Contugas in Peru
05 June 2017
Bogotá, D.C., June 5, 2016. Contugas, a company of Grupo Energía de Bogotá (GEB), celebrates 9 years of operation in the distribution and commercialization of natural gas in the department of Ica, municipalities of Pisco, Chincha, Ica, Nazca and Marcona, in Peru.
Contugas was incorporated by Empresa de Energía de Bogotá (EEB) and Transportadora de Gas Internacional (TGI) back in 2008, given that the Peruvian administration granted a concession in that year intended to commercialize and distribute natural gas in the region for 33 years. The company's commercial operations began in 2014 with the commissioning of the regional gas pipeline of Ica which encompasses a 300-km network and a total investment in the amount of USD$345 million.
Astrid Álvarez, president of Grupo Energía de Bogotá, highlighted the trajectory of this subsidiary by stating that“Contugas is a company with great projection of growth in Peru, which has been working on consolidating as the largest natural gas distributor in the Ica Department and leveraging the GEB expansion throughout the country”.
To Jorge Ramos, general manager of Contugas, the company's growth over these years is due to the focus on increasing revenues and connections in industries and households. “This year the company will reach 50,000 residential connections, which was the goal that had been initially set by 2020, meaning that in such a short time we managed to achieve a 43% coverage”, he added.
Contugas is part of the Strategic Business Unit of Urban Energy Solutions of GEB, which is focused on developing and operating the infrastructure needed to meet the electric energy and natural gas demand of large cities, with high energy consumption.
- 2008:Contugas entered into the Humay concession contract with the Peruvian administration.
- 2012:The first household with natural gas was inaugurated in the city of Pisco.
- 2014:Contugas connected the first company of the industrial sector with natural gas
Natural gas distribution started at household level in Ica.
- 2015:Provided natural gas connection to 31,625 families in the towns of Chincha, Pisco, Ica, Nasca and Marcona, becoming the first company of the sector to ever reach such a number of families in its first year of commercial operation.
- 2016:100% compliance with the BOOT(Build-Own-Operate-Transfer) targetestimated for 2016, reaching almost 40,000 installations in the region.
Invoiced volume increased in 37% and invoiced income in 49%, as compared to 2015.
Almost 500 new conversions of light vehicles to natural gas vehicles.
About Grupo Energía Bogotá
Grupo Energía de Bogotá (GEB), led by Empresa Energía de Bogotá, is a joint stock company listed in the Colombian Stock Market, whose main purpose is the generation, transmission, distribution and marketing of energy, gas and liquid fuels in all of their forms.
Today, Grupo Energía de Bogotá is the region's main Multi-Latin company of electric energy and natural gas with presence in Colombia, Peru, Guatemala and Brazil. Acting as a “strategic connector”, focused on three Business Groups:
- Urban Energy Solutions, seeking to develop and operate the infrastructure needed to meet the demand of electric energy and natural gas of big cities;
- Interconnection for Market Development, business unit in charge of connecting energy generation sources with consumer's megacenters and big users; and
- Low-Emission Generation, seeking new opportunities in renewable energies in countries undergoing a transition from the energy matrix to this sustainable generation low-emission source.
Jacqueline Guevara Gil
External Communications Consultant