Grupo Energía de Bogotá and CRQ enter into an agreement to undertake protective actions in the Barbas Bremen District
23 January 2017
Bogotá. D.C., January 23, 2017.Grupo Energía de Bogotá (GEB), within the framework of the Armenia Project UPME 02-2009, entered into a special cooperation agreement with the Regional Autonomous Corporation of Quindio (CRQ) in the amount of $900 million pesos, intended to join technical and economic efforts to carry out different programs as a part of the Environmental Management Plan of the Barbas Bremen Land Conservation District.
The following actions are included, among others:
- Ecological restoration and enrichment of 45 hectares in sensitive ecosystems and wetlands of the region.
- Isolation and protection of 8,260 linear meters of different types of ecosystems including wetlands, gallery forests and relict forests.
- Social Management focused on strengthening the local community capacity to carry out activities intended to monitor, control and oversee water sources.
- Implementation of best practices in the use of water resources with the inhabitants of the Conservation District
- Development and implementation of environmental education processes previously identified with the communities within the framework of the School Environmental Projects (PRAE).
- Inventory of tourist attractions associated with biological corridors and adaptation of 600 linear meters of interpretative pathways.
- Improvement and preparation of the existing pathway inside the Conservation District, and design, construction, and assembly of a fauna observation tower.
- Formulation of the strategic and conservation plan of wetlands with its respective action plan.
With regards to this agreement, Astrid Álvarez, GEB President, emphasized that “To Grupo Energía de Bogotá working with an integrated sustainable development model is a top priority, as this model allows to guarantee the conservation and preservation of water resources and biodiversity existing in this important protected area”.
The agreement is fully in force and its execution is intended to take place within a two-year term.
About the Armenia Project UPME 02 – 2009:
- The Armenia Project is of the great importance for the Coffee-Growing Axis and the country, as it strengthens the transmission of electric energy in the departments of Caldas, Quindío and Risaralda.
- The project is 38.06 km long, which involves the installation of up to 83 electric energy transmission towers throughout the project, which will allow industries and tourist and service companies to enjoy access to high-quality and reliable energy services.
- Benefits of the project:
- The project benefits the region and its inhabitants.
- Decrease in failures, blackouts and/or service suspensions caused by overcharges of the system in Caldas, Quindío and Risaralda. These overcharges are due to the increasing number of inhabitants, business establishment and tourism in the region.
- Increase of connections to the country, which increases the economic growth of the region.
About Grupo Energía Bogotá
“Grupo Energía de Bogotá” is one of the leading business groups in the region’s low-emission energy chain. As a Corporate Group, it creates value to its shareholders and interest groups through the sustainable and cost-effective management of business activities throughout the energy chain, both in the generation, transmission, distribution and commercialization of energy and in the transportation and distribution of natural gas.
The Group contributes to the development of the countries where the group operates, while leading projects that impact on the productivity, competitiveness, well-being and quality of life of users.
Luis Miguel Gómez Henao
External Communications Consultant