Grupo Energia de Bogota will reach 560.000 natural gas connections in Peru via Calidda in 2017
06 March 2017
- Being the market leader in Urban Energy Solutions for megacities is GEB’s strong commitment in the 4 countries it operates in.
- Over the last 6 years Calidda has invested USD $479 million, taking natural gas and quality of life to millions of Peruvians.
Bogota. D.C. March 6, 2017. Calidda, a company in which Grupo Energia de Bogota (GEB) has a shareholding of 60%, will continue to make its natural gas connections widely available in Lima and Callao in Peru in 2017. This company has the license to design, build and operate the natural gas distribution system in the state of Lima and the Constitutional Province of Callao in Peru for 33 years. Additionally, it is a pioneer in providing this public service in Peru, thus contributing to the improvement of the population's quality of life and care for the environment.
With its expansion plan, the company expects to reach close to 560,000 connections, of which 555,398 correspond to homes, 8,051 to businesses and 268 to vehicular natural gas stations, which supply 224,000 vehicles approximately. To date, it has exceeded 445,000 connections, impacting more than 2 million people, who now enjoy an economic, safe, modern and eco-friendly fuel from the Peruvian market.
Over the last 6 years, Calidda has invested USD $497 million and expects to continue making important investments to expand coverage. Currently, only 15% of homes in Lima and Callao have access to natural gas, which represents a huge opportunity for growth.
“We want to be the leading group in Latin America for energy development in large cities, and consolidate ourselves as an urban energy solutions facilitator, developing and operating the necessary infrastructure to meet the electric energy and natural gas demand in cities. Today, we substantially contribute to the quality of life of millions of Peruvians by bringing natural gas. Our goal is to benefit many more,”affirmed Astrid Alvarez, president of Grupo Energia de Bogota.
Besides Calidda, GEB is present in the gas distribution business of Peru with its company Contugas, which is present in the state of Ica, specifically in the localities of Pisco, Chincha, Ica, Nazca and Marcona, where it hopes to connect 15,000 homes in 2017.
About Grupo Energia de Bogota
Grupo Energia de Bogota (GEB), led by Empresa Energia de Bogota, is a joint stock company listed in the Colombian Stock Exchange, which main corporate purpose is the generation, transmission, distribution and commercialization of energy, gas and liquid fuels in all of their forms.
At present, Grupo Energia de Bogota is the main Multi-Latin electric energy and natural gas company of the region with presence in Colombia, Peru, Guatemala and Brazil. It acts as a “strategic connector”, focused on three Business Units:
- Urban Energy Solutions, this unit focuses on developing and operating the infrastructure required to meet the electric power and natural gas demand in large cities;
- Interconnection for Market Development, this unit is responsible for connecting power generation sources with consumption mega-centers and large users; and
- Low Emission Generation, this unit focuses on seeking new opportunities in renewable energies in countries where the energy matrix is transitioning to this sustainable and low-emission generation source.
In 2025, Grupo Energia de Bogota will become the non-mining company with the highest profit in the Colombian market, and its companies’ income will exceed COP $35 trillion coming from its operations in several Latin American countries, consolidating itself as the most valuable company within the Latin American Integrated Market (MILA in Spanish).
Luis Miguel Gomez Henao
External Communications Advisor
Cellular Phone: 3108124891