Developing renewable energy will have great impact in GDP and employment
31 March 2017
- Grupo Energía de Bogotá participated at the 1st International Meeting on Renewable Energies) with a presentation on different perspectives dealing with the transformation of the energy matrix
- As part of its strategic business groups, GEB will focus on developing renewable energy generation and low emission initiatives.
Bogotá D.C., March 31, 2017. Grupo Energía de Bogotá (GEB) took part of the 1stInternational Meeting on Renewable Energies) that was held in the city of Rio Hacha (La Guajira), with the presence of national and international experts.
GEB was part of the panel “Realities and needs of licensing energy generation projects through non-conventional sources of renewable energy”,addressing topics such as Colombia’s inclusion in great projects dealing with non-conventional sources of renewable energy, the social-economic and environmental advantages of this, and how to measure the impact.
The panel was chaired by Tabaré Arroyo, Regional Director of Sustainable Energy Policy, WWF México, and included speakers such as Juan Daniel Ávila, Integrated Management System (IMS) manager at GEB; Rodrigo Paris, Director of Barefoot College for Latin America; Rafael Benevento, leader of Santa Clara community of La Guajira department; Mauricio López, Technical Vice-President at Andesco.
“Transforming the energy system to renewable energies will bring great benefits to society, including reducing dependency on energy importation, improvements on environmental quality, and the creation of new markets. If we are able to cover 10% of the country’s energy demand of photovoltaic technology, we could create approximately 15,600 direct and indirect jobs in Colombia’s renewable energy sector. Policies, regulation, planning must be included to accomplish this goal, and also acknowledging the benefits and advantages of renewable energies”, saidJuan Daniel Ávila.
Avila added: “Sustainable policies of companies must be authentic and long-lasting, they also must share values and benefits with the communities on the basis of renewable energy generation projects, and through developing a new relationship and trustworthiness among all parties”.
About Grupo Energía Bogotá
Grupo Energía de Bogotá (GEB), led by Empresa Energía de Bogotá, is a joint stock company listed in the Stock Exchange Market of Colombia, which main corporate purpose is the generation, transmission, distribution and commercialization of energy, gas and liquid fuels in all of their forms.
Nowadays, Grupo Energía de Bogotá is the main Multi-Latin electric energy and natural gas company of the region with presence in Colombia, Perú, Guatemala and Brazil, and acting as a “strategic connector”, focused on three Business Units.
- Urban Energy Solutions, this unit focuses on developing and operating the infrastructure required to meet the electric power and natural gas demand in large cities;
- Interconnection for Market Development, this unit is responsible for connecting power generation sources with large consumption centers and large users; and
- Low Emission Generation, this focuses on seeking new opportunities in renewable energies in countries where the energy matrix is transitioning to this sustainable and low-emission generation source.
Luis Miguel Gómez Henao
External Communications Advisor
Cellular phone: 3108124891
As part of its strategy, Grupo Energía de Bogotá has focused in low emission generation as one of its business strategic groups, seeking for new opportunities on renewables energy in countries which have already undertook a transition towards an energy matrix based on sustainable